Medicare open enrollment runs from October 15 through December 7 of each year. During this enrollment period, Medicare members have the opportunity to enroll in or make changes to their Medicare Advantage or Medicare prescription drug coverage for the following year. The changes that can be made during the Open Enrollment period include:
- Change from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage Plan.
- Change from a Medicare Advantage Plan back to Original Medicare.
- Switch from one Medicare Advantage Plan to another Medicare Advantage Plan.\
- Switch from a Medicare Advantage Plan that doesn’t offer drug coverage to a Medicare Advantage Plan that offers drug coverage.
- Switch from a Medicare Advantage Plan that offers drug coverage to a Medicare Advantage Plan that doesn’t offer drug coverage.
- Join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.
- Switch from one Medicare Prescription Drug Plan to another Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.
Drop your Medicare prescription drug coverage completely.
The Medicare.gov online Plan Finder Tool can help you decide if you have the right plan for your needs. If you’ve added or changed medications during the year, it is a good idea to revisit the Part D prescription plans to make sure you are getting the best coverage. Have a list of your medications ready when you visit the Plan Finder so you can personalize the search and have the Plan Finder estimate the monthly premiums and out-of-pocket costs for you. The Plan Finder will also let you compare plans, and provide links so you can go directly to the plan you choose and enroll. If you need help using the Plan Finder, Medicare has provided a tutorial that will guide you through the process.
Make sure you visit before December 7th. Otherwise you will have to wait another year to make changes.