Medicare open enrollment runs from October 15 through December 7. During this enrollment period, Medicare members have the opportunity to enroll in or make changes to their Medicare Advantage or Medicare prescription drug coverage for the following year. The changes that can be made during the Open Enrollment period include:
- Change from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage Plan.
- Change from a Medicare Advantage Plan back to Original Medicare.
- Switch from one Medicare Advantage Plan to another Medicare Advantage Plan.
- Switch from a Medicare Advantage Plan that doesn’t offer drug coverage to a Medicare Advantage Plan that offers drug coverage.
- Switch from a Medicare Advantage Plan that offers drug coverage to a Medicare Advantage Plan that doesn’t offer drug coverage.
- Join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.
- Switch from one Medicare Prescription Drug Plan to another Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.
- Drop your Medicare prescription drug coverage completely.
If you aren’t sure whether you have the best plan to fit your needs, Medicare.gov offers a Plan Finder tool that can help you decide. Make sure you have a list of your medications ready so you can personalize the search and have the Plan Finder estimate the monthly premiums and out-of-pocket costs for you. The Plan Finder will also let you compare plans, and provide links so you can go directly to the plan you choose and enroll.
For more great tips for Seniors, visit our website.