Spring is finally here! While it brings warmer temperatures, flowers and sunshine, it can also shed light on problems around your home that might need maintenance. Here are a few things you can do to keep your home well-maintained and beautiful:
1. GUTTERS – Make sure they are free of debris and are draining properly. Improper drainage can lead to water damage.
2. ROOF – From the ground, examine shingles to see if any were lost or damaged during winter. Shingles that are cracked, buckled or loose or are missing granules need to be replaced. Flashing around plumbing vents, skylights and chimneys should also be checked.
3. FOUNDATION – Inspect for indications of cracks or movement. Also look for cracks in your walls or ceiling or doors and windows that aren’t closing properly.
4. WOOD TRIM – Inspect wood trim on your home for cracks, dry rot or signs of termites. Repairs should be done before the spring rains do more damage to the exposed wood. Remove firewood that was stored near the home over the winter.
5. FAUCETS & HOSES – Check your outside faucets for freeze damage. Also check your garden hoses for dry rot.
6. FIREPLACE – If you used your fireplace a great deal during the winter months, you should have it cleaned and inspected by a certified chimney sweep.
7. AIR CONDITIONING – For the most efficient cooling, have your unit cleaned and serviced by a professional. The best time to do this is before it gets too hot outside. Not only will you avoid the headache of having your air conditioning go out on the hottest day of the year, you will probably pay less for service in a non-peak time. Also make sure to change interior filters on a regular basis.
8. LAWN – Low areas in the yard or next to the foundation should be filled to avoid damage from yard flooding during spring rains. Standing water also is a breeding ground for mosquitos so it is best to make sure your lawn doesn’t have spots where water can pool. Also check your lawn equipment to make sure it is ready for summer use.
If you need an expert to help with repairs around your home, give us a call at (817) 330-9235. We have assembled a team of professionals who can assist you in getting your home in tip-top shape for spring.
For more great tips, visit our website.