Deep in the heart of the city of Arlington lives the small community of Dalworthington Gardens. The name is taken from a combination of the three anchor cities of the area: Dallas, Fort Worth and Arlington. With a population of a little over 2,250, their motto is “A rural oasis in the heart of the Metroplex.”
Interestingly enough, the community was begun during the Great Depression as a subsistence homestead project under the authority of the National Industrial Recovery Act as part of the Subsistence Homesteads Division. In early 1934 the federal government approved the Dalworthington Gardens charter and allotted $250,000 to buy 593 acres of land. The land was divided into seventy-nine sites which varied in size from three to thirty-two acres. Forty-three acres was reserved for a community house and park. Three unpaved gravel roads ran north and south, and three ran east and west. The purpose of the homestead program was to help families attain a better standard of living through a combination of part-time industrial employment and subsistence agriculture but the project was not a relief program. Applicants for homesteads were required to pay 10 percent down on a homestead and show proof that they could repay their loans. A typical monthly payment was less than $25, including mortgage and management payments and all utilities.
Today’s Dalworthington Gardens is a little different from the small agricultural community it once was. Modern and luxury homes now accompany some of the original homesteads built in the 1930s, many of which are now designated with Texas Historical Markers. Dalworthington Gardens is the only remaining community of the five identical projects that were located in Texas.
If you’re interested in viewing some of the beautiful homes for sale in Dalworthington Gardens, click here.